tiistai 5. heinäkuuta 2016

Grimoire - With Blackstorms We Come... promo '94


Grimoire - With Blackstorms We Come... promo October 1994
1) Conjuration
2) Beyond Eternal Nights

Mega / Rusfolder

The weather has taken a pleasant turn to slightly cooler but I still wanted to keep up with the southern summer campaign for at least a bit longer. Today we have, to counterbalance some of the recent posts, some Israeli material from my vaults. Grimoire from Herzelia was active for a few years around the mid-90's, releasing a demo, an album and this promo tape here. Their name popped up with slightly surprising frequency in fanzines and tape trader lists, considering the rather limited discography. Most of that was probably due novelty factor and I guess they were quite active with correspondence and such. I didn't have covers for this but fortunately there were pretty good scans on Discogs, thanks to user ateshu.

There are two quite long songs here and the first one was also featured on their demo "In the Darkwoods Sovreignity" which as an aside I'm not very fond of. I disliked the sound on it, guitars are way too subdued. The sound here is rougher than on the demo but also more to my liking, the instruments are in better balance and guitar more prominent, percussion less in your face. Bass is notably audible here (on the demo also). Okay, I admit the faster sections do get messy but that's a minor issue, of course your mileage may vary here. Songwriting is quite elaborate for a debut release, there are no synths here yet but several atmospheric passages which do well enough without them. Things do not always flow very fluently but that is to be expected, a few errors give demo and rehearsal recordings character. Some slightly oriental tones can be heard on the second song, but not to the extent of the album which was pretty much sympho black with Middle East melodies.

That's enough for this time, should next post continue with the theme of summer heat and southern sounds or is it time to cool down with some freezing northern noise? Or perhaps as a more neutral option something from Central(-ish) Europe? Cast your vote and it might actually matter!

6 kommenttia:

Taralezh kirjoitti...

Haha I love it when you post Israeli stuff that I don't have, thats awesome
I wonder if I still have my copy of their full length :S
This demo is pretty rare even for us locals, as far as I heard it was released as promo for labels outside of Israel so not many copies around here

Velkaarn kirjoitti...

@Taralezh:

I am glad to be of service! Yeah, I've understood this was a surprisingly hard to find item, though I do remember tape trading lists back in the day feature this it was usually the '95 demo people had or were familiar with. I had ripped this originally way, way back but screwed up the first version and did it again much later, then again sort of forgot it. Better late than never and all that!

As an aside, you wouldn't happen to have the first ('92 - '93) Gallows tapes?

Taralezh kirjoitti...

Nope, nothing by Gallows sorry mate :X
They're pretty rare as well since the music's a bit weird and they were from northern town

Velkaarn kirjoitti...

@Taralezh:

Feared as much, but thanks anyways. Damn it, I should've had someone dub me the '93 demo back then since I had a chance. Oh well, it's bound to show up eventually.

Taralezh kirjoitti...

I'll ask some ancient metalheads here if someone has it

Velkaarn kirjoitti...

@Taralezh:

Thank you, I appreciate that!