perjantai 28. syyskuuta 2012

Amon Sul - Goat Mit Uns demo 1994


Amon Sul - Goat Mit Uns demo 1994
1) War Prophet
2) Even the Sun Is Red
3) Saltus Heathen Toad
4) Goat mit uns

Depositfiles

Here's another item sent me by Fenrirsson, this time black metal from France. "Goat mit uns" was the only demo of Amon Sul who had apparently been playing without a name from 1992 and released only this one demo. Metal Archives seems to have the demo as a 1995 release whereas comrade Fenrirsson dated it to 1994. I'm trusting him on this one. Scans of the cover and insert (with lyrics) are included.

If you're expecting melodic, atmospheric black metal you can forget about it here. You're not exactly getting Les Légions Noires-style rawness either though this certainly has spades that quality to it. "War Prophet" starts off with a curious martial quality to it and maintains a certain aura of... well, mixing martial industrial/ambient with raw lo-fi black metal style through its duration. Must be due the cold production, electronics and mechanical percussion. The second track blasts away without much ado and the frantic buzzing of the guitars strongly reminds me off Norsemen Helheim - The Helheim Society that is, not the norsecore vikings. Things go on similar manner for the rest, slowing down a notch or two for "Saltus Heathen Toad" and picking up again and actually changing the sound a bit for the title track. Somehow this keeps growing on me the more I listen to it, which is almost universally a good sign. Interesting demo, not really for everyone I suppose.

4 kommenttia:

kingpossum kirjoitti...

How do you guys keep coming up with this stuff? This is awesome, much more accomplished musically than most of the BM of the time, to my ear.

Love the tempo and segment shifts. Tracks 1 and 3 are outstanding.

Many thanks.

Velkaarn kirjoitti...

@kingpossum:

You're welcome, brother Fenrirsson is to thank for this - it's one of his favourites. I thought you might enjoy it as I listened to it for the second time myself.

kingpossum kirjoitti...

Thank you brother Fenrirsson. I'll throw it out there for you, Grev, Velkaarn and anyone else who wants to offer their thoughts--what is that seems to make '94 such a watershed year for BM?

From my perspective a wealth of great stuff comes from '94. So I'll leave it to you all who are closer to it than I to offer opinions on why that is.

Thanks everybody,

Velkaarn kirjoitti...

@kingpossum:

I can't really come up with a quick, simple answer for that... though I myself am quite partial to many 1995 releases too. After that things started to rapidly decay and got really awful by the end of the 90's.

I guess that by 1994 the 2nd wave movement had expanded "enough" but not yet too much to bring about plenty of good stuff.