maanantai 30. huhtikuuta 2012

Sorcerer - Finsterland demo 1994


Sorcerer (ger) - Finsterland rehearsal demo 1994
1) Transilvanischer Wälder
2) Blut für den Scharfrichter
3) Finsterland

Reuploaded


There hasn't been nearly enough black metal rehearsal recordings from Germany on this blog, y/n? If you agree keep reading, for here courtesy of brother Grev and his near-bottomless vaults is yet another stone turned and another cadaver of a band exhumed. Sorcerer, not to be mixed with various other bands using the name - Swedish doom band being probably the best known, was a Bavarian black metal band consisting of a bunch of German Poles who released three (?) rehearsal tapes before changing name to Eclipse which was just as unfortunate choice as the original name, being even more overused. They released a promo tape under this name in 1996, which I'd be interested to hear, and then probably split up. Of note might also be the fact that bassist Azazel was a member of the Bavarian nsbm-pioneers Morke and under his current alias Tairach is active with Pestnebel and Ungod. That's enough name-dropping, read the rest from Metal Archives. No covers I'm afraid and I'd appreciate getting a scan.

Musically we've got here quite raw sounding black metal with some atmospheric synths and melodic, at times epic parts. Sound is toleratable 90's German rehearsal black metal fare. Easier to listen to than most of Morke material certainly, somewhat like the Nordlys rehearsal demo and with less hissing than most Moonblood rehearsal rips I've heard. It's nothing really groundbreaking, sure, but works for me and makes me want to hear the other tapes as well as the Eclipse 1996 promo. Check it out if you're into this particular niche of the 90's underground scene or in general into black metal and not too coy to brave listening to rehearsal tapes.

6 kommenttia:

Anonyymi kirjoitti...

Could you please re-upload this demo, Velkaarn? Much appreciated!

Velkaarn kirjoitti...

@Rhun:

With pleasure. Be sure to check out the Eclipse promo too which I uploaded in September '14.

http://ascoven.blogspot.fi/2014/09/eclipse-gefallener-stern-promo-1996.html

I better check the links for that one, now that I'm at it!

Anonyymi kirjoitti...

Thanks for the re-upload. Heard these recordings a while back on YouTube, but just remembered to look up this demo this week. The contrast of rawer BM riffs and the "epic sections" in these songs sounds great to my ears. Hadn't heard the Eclipse promo, so thanks for the recommendation. Pointless to add, but after messing around with my crappy keyboard, I found the opening synth riff to "Transillvanische Walder."

Velkaarn kirjoitti...

@Rhun:

No problem, this one needed the refresh. After having a side-by-side listen to this and the Eclipse promo after a long time I must say I prefer this.

Anonyymi kirjoitti...

Sorry, Velkaarn, I'm going to ask for another re-upload of this. SendSpace link is dead and I lost these files with my old operating system. Thanks in advance. And yeah, it is a bother to rebuild my lost file library.

I did have the chance to listen to the Eclipse demo too. I prefer the rawer and darker sound on this rehearsal personally.

Velkaarn kirjoitti...

@Rhun:

No problem, it's been done. Sendspace is okay-ish but the links tend to expire pretty quickly if they're not used and this isn't exactly among the top ten hot'n'hip recordings of today.