keskiviikko 21. maaliskuuta 2012

Crack Up - Forsaken Dreams demo 1994


Crack Up - Forsaken Dreams demo 1994
1)
Forever in Me
2) A Part of Me
3) Fading Away
4) Black/Blood
5) Dreams

Mediafire / Deposit

Today's post is from Germany and death metal-based music from Crack Up who evolved later into a sort of death'n'roll-sound, which was not an uncommon pattern for 90's death metallish bands. On this demo, as well as on their 1996 debut album, they are closest to death metal but I still wouldn't call it really death metal, they play in a midtempo doomy style reminiscent of Crematory and such. I guess, I suck at making comparisons to styles I haven't actively listened to. I suppose they remind me a little of Paradise Lost post-Gothic as well. You might notice the lyrics are also more in the doom/death vein than metal of death. Includes a cover scan.

Ripped from an original tape, the sound is good and clear if not very powerful. The vocalist does a decent death growl and uses sparingly some whispers and less sparingly spoken vocals part of which go through various sorts of effect - the former work well and the latter so and so, the SFX would not be really necessary. Decent performances all around (like I knew) and ok music as well. It's quite uptempo at times as well, not just death/doom. I suppose it's due the German love of power and heavy metal. I'd like it better without the spoken bits and with more gloom and doom. But give it a try if you enjoy this sort of stuff.

4 kommenttia:

kingpossum kirjoitti...

Very cool stuff to my ear, and very well played. Really stupid band name, but the music is terrific.

Thanks for the post.

Velkaarn kirjoitti...

@kingpossum:

Yeah, I'm not at all fond of the band name either. I think it fits pretty poorly with the music. At least the older stuff, don't know about their later death'n'roll material.

Anonyymi kirjoitti...

Thanks!

Agreed on the band name, but the music is pretty good to my ears.

Velkaarn kirjoitti...

You're welcome! You might want to check out at least the debut alnum "Blood Is Life" which is similar in style to this demo. The later material I'm not familiar with.