lauantai 24. maaliskuuta 2012

Gehena - The Eternal Simbol of Death demo 1994


Gehena - The Eternal Simbol of Death demo 1994
1)
Gehena
2) The Eternal Simbol of Death
3) Valley of the Enom's Son
4) The Darkness Reveli It's Secret
5) Outro

Depositfiles

Here's another tape traded demo, the debut demo of Brazil's Gehena, not probably mixed with the various Gehennas, thanks to the spelling. And yes, I know how "symbol" is spelled, thank you, but apparently they either did not or chose to spell it with "i" - whatever the case be, I followed the spelling on the demo cover. Of which I only have the less than stellar Metal Archives image, if you have it I'd appreciate a scan. - UPDATE: Brother Fenrirsson had sent me a scan already long ago - I've just forgotten to update! So, reuploaded with the cover scan enclosed and looks like track 4 is maximum Engrish - it's not "The Darkness Rebellion Is Secret" but "The Darkness Reveli It's Secret"! I guess they were aiming for "...Reveals Its Secret" but couldn't quite nail it. Oh well.

This is black metal, no doubt about it. It sounds raw and cruel, even cold at times, reminding me of the northern 2nd wave style rather than the southern old school. You might recognize the outro they are using. Well, the song writing is quite simple and primitive (which is not a negative thing itself) and riffs more Hellhammer than Emperor, speed generally normal to slow midtempo with some faster parts tossed here and there, main vocal a cruel, shrieky croak supported by a deathly growl/roar, sound pretty good with a bass you can actually hear from time to time and overall I find myself enjoying this. I'd like to hear the second demo as well. I had something else I was going to write here but I seem to have forgotten what it was. Recommended for readers into raw and primitive sorts of black metal as well as collectors of southern bands.

6 kommenttia:

Anonyymi kirjoitti...

I have the original demo, somewhere, so I'll see if I can manage a scan for you. I don't recall it being anything spectacular though, but then again, what really was back in the mid 1990's? Better cover than the pro-art crap nowadays for commercial consumption, that's for sure...

-F

Velkaarn kirjoitti...

Excellent, if you could do that I'd be pleased! I'm just always curious to see the whole cover. The old demo covers had spirit.

kingpossum kirjoitti...

Velkaarn, or as Gehena might say, the old demo covers had spyrit.

Velkaarn kirjoitti...

@king:

Heh, true that!

Anonyymi kirjoitti...

great demo man... this is one of the various brazilian hordes, that show the evil scene that brazil is....the horde split-up, it´s better than do a lot of whit works, hahaha

Velkaarn kirjoitti...

Glad you enjoyed it! I was quite surprised at how good it was listening to it after so many years when I found the tape.