lauantai 27. huhtikuuta 2013

Fiendish Nymph - Promo 1996


Fiendish Nymph - Promo 1996
1) The Ethereal Nereids
2) The Drowning of Syring

Yandex / Mediafire

Here is a short item that has been lying around my HD for way too long... well the original rip was made in 2010, but I ripped it again as I wasn't pleased with that result. This one still has minor issues but I'm happy enough with it and it's about time I upload it. I know you can find a rip (or rips) of this tape elsewhere but since I've done it and like it, it's here end of discussion. Promo 1996 was the second demo of the Greek band Fiendish Nymph (if you don't count a 1994 promo track) who spawned a side project Daemonia Nymphe, playing sort of folk/world music thing and ending up with more releases than the "main band". Ripped from an original tape and includes cover scan.

Like just about all Fiendish Nymph releases, this is a pretty short tape at 11:40 which isn't bad for two tracks, obviously. Sound quality is of good demo sort but unfortunately the balance is a little screwy as most of the instrumentation is on one side. It doesn't bother me as bad as it used to. Music is midtempoish, atmospheric Greek pagan/black metal with sort of whispery main vocals which I like very much, accompanied by some half spoken ones, black metal gasps/rasps and such. I especially like the almost strangled sounding bm howls. Synths are featured quite prominently and very Greek riffs abound. I've always had a soft spot for this band and still do so I'm just going to babble like an idiot if I continue. Try it if you like Hellenic take on black metal, especially the atmospheric sort. If you don't like Greek metal give it still a listen or I won't forgive you.

PS: I would very much like to rip and post the first demo but the only dub (I should have two) I've found so far was of really poor quality. Help appreciated as the second dub is somewhere in old catacombs' nameless tombs and requires either massive effort (not gonna happen) or luck to be found.

12 kommenttia:

GREV kirjoitti...

@Velkaarn

I don't really remember rip quality of first demo of FN. I have it, need to check it out

Panacea kirjoitti...

Nice post!I think your rip Velkaarn is better than the one that is circle around the net.It would be appreciated if the first demo got posted too.

Velkaarn kirjoitti...

@Panacea:

Thanks! I'd love to post the first demo too, we'll see what quality brother Grev has or if I get lucky and come across the tape with the better dub (unlikely).

Anonyymi kirjoitti...

I think that I might have it, but give me a few days to try and locate it. I know that I have another couple of Fiendish Nymph tapes, but where they might be, and what they are, is the question.

- Fenrirsson

Anonyymi kirjoitti...

Should have look at the Metal Archives first - I do have it, now just to find it!

- F

GREV kirjoitti...

@Velkaarn. Check your mailbox. I've send link to you

Anonyymi kirjoitti...

Let me know if you still want it - have it with the cover.

- F

Velkaarn kirjoitti...

@Grev:

Read & replied!

@Fenrirsson:

If you have an original copy, that would obviously be the best source! Both dubs I have would be several generation copies, including the one I remember sounding better. Would really appreciate it if it fell off a pile right into your hands!

GREV kirjoitti...

@Velkaarn. OK :)
If you get an original dub, it's better to all of us.

Velkaarn kirjoitti...

@Grev:

From what little check up I did your rip was better than the shit dub I discarded so I'm already pretty happy with that. Of course if F rips his original, even better, but that'll do.

@Fenrirsson:

A rip is of course welcome but not absolutely necessary, Grev's was decent enough for my refined tastes. But cover scans would be great!

Anonyymi kirjoitti...

I'll fire it over in a few days time - busy ripping demos like a maniac at the moment... The Fiendish Nymph demo is ultra short (under 10 mins) and seems to be only 1 "real" track... It's not that bad though, and I'll clean up the sound. I do remember listening to it a number of times about 10 years ago and really liking it, and I can, strangely, still see why.

- F

Velkaarn kirjoitti...

@F:

Ok thanks in advance! Yeah, it's an intro, one "proper" track and an instrumental/outro. Many Greek bands released these really short promo and demo tapes in the 90's.