torstai 25. huhtikuuta 2013

Messier - Live at Võit Cinema, 4.4.1997


Messier - Live at Võit Cinema, Nõmme, Tallinn Estonia 4th April 1997
1) Ohverdus hingekopsude toojale
2) Kopsud ja valu ja saatuse raskus
3) Surm neile kel kõrv
4) Püha osmidus armastab loomi
5) Iisraeli rahva kõlbeline laostumine

RGhost / Yandex

Following the previous post I decided to upload right away another Messier item, this is a live recording, also from 1997. The line-up for the gig was same as for the first demo, minus Pallisõber (I think) and added our contributor Mihkel Kleis playing the synth. Mihkel recalls Messier performed live only two times. The venue was in a suburb of Tallinn and was quite popular for rock and metal concerts at that time. No cover, the pic up there is the Messier guys sans Känd hanging around at Harju Mägi, Tallinn - there was a record market every Sunday. Mihkal in the middle, Noka to the left and Lauri on the right.

The five song performance lasts a little below 17 minutes and has a pretty good sound in my opinion. Vocals are a little high on the mix but this might have to do also with the nature of the instrumentation. Some of the tracks don't seem to appear elsewhere, including the first one which sounds quite like progressive rock with the synth and guitar doing what they do. The second and third track are among the more bizarre and noisy sort and live especially so. An interesting performance for sure. I had something else I was going to write but now I'm kind of in a hurry so just download it. Or don't.

2 kommenttia:

kingpossum kirjoitti...

Wow. You've outdone yourself with this one Velkaarn. A 'personal best' of weirdness it seems to me.

I rather like the live recording. The heavy rhythmic base and spoken-more-than-sung vocals give it (and this is admittedly a stretch) something of an early Public Image Ltd. sound to me. Sort of the weird underground Estonian version of "Metal Box".

Which is not a bad thing in my opinion. Interesting that you post this as the studio recording sounds like the root source material for much of the current pagan/folk metal stuff. Or the Hekaloth records roster.

Awesome post. In an absurd sort of way.

Velkaarn kirjoitti...

@kp:

Heh, I was quite sure you'd find these interesting. I've another demo and some unreleased tracks still for later.

Hmm, I don't think your comparison to early PiL might be that much of a stretch... though I haven't listened that much to them I'm inclined to agree.

Personally I'd like to know what bits are from when on the studio recording as it is compiled from material written between 1993 - 1997! In general the 2nd demo tracks are longer while the unreleased vary a little more.