sunnuntai 14. joulukuuta 2014

Tem Ohp Ab - Rehearsal Track 1995


Tem Ohp Ab - Rehearsal Track 1995
1) Swastika's Occult Origin

Yandex / RGhost

A quickie for tonight. Burn the Crucifix was an Italian black metal band that recorded (at least) two demos and then, I quote Metal Archives, "Anaboth changed the band's name to Tem Ohp Ab and was the only member remaining. One track is known to exist that was spread via tape trading". This is that track. I think he quit the band/project soon afterwards, possibly due there already being an Italian noise/something act Tem Oph Ab which was getting known better. Whatever the case, I got this track from, you guessed it, tape trading and there's no cover or much anything else to go by so I slapped a BtC picture to decorate the post. Hopefully that's the right guy!

UPDATE ! : Sister Borderline dug up an interview (in Polish) with Tem Ohp Ab and a flyer with a proper image! Though looks like they changed the spelling to "Oph" at some point too, just to complicate stuff I bet! Anyways, I now really want to hear the releases mentioned in there, namely the demo of same name as this track and an EP "In Search of North's Spirit" which is a title I'm certain I've seen before! Traderlist, most likely.

The track itself is raw and slightly repetitive slab of black metal. Rehearsal sound so rawness is pretty much given. Drums are almost lost in the grating sawing of the guitar, vocals are very audible and not bad at all. I wouldn't mind hearing more of this, but there probably isn't anything. Oh, despite the word "Swastika" on the title I don't think this is nsbm. If Burn the Crucifix demos sound anything similar I'd love to hear them so get in touch if you have 'em. Recommended for people into obscure and raw black metal.

7 kommenttia:

kingpossum kirjoitti...

Sounds like a crazed black metal sewing machine. Making a hooded robe no doubt, not a flowery apron for baking cookies. Interesting tidbit to toss into a mix tape, the backstory is what makes it most worthwhile for me. Thanks for the post.

Velkaarn kirjoitti...

@kingpossum:

I've always had a soft spot for this, partially due its nature of being one-shot thing. Though for the longest time I was under the impression this and the "other" Italian Tem Oph Ab (note the difference in spelling) were the same band. You may imagine how surprised I was at the radical change when I heard them the first time!

Borderline1991 kirjoitti...

His name was Azahoth, not Anaboth.
Tem Ohp Ab was going to release album called Qlipothica Musica and I am not sure if it was released or not. But two releases prior to this album were tape "Swastika's Occult Origin" and 7" EP "In Search of North's Spirit" released by Maggot Productions.
https://s29.postimg.org/sttkmd2mf/image.jpg
https://s27.postimg.org/8gf8t0oir/image.jpg

Borderline1991 kirjoitti...

and here's a promotional picture from some 'zine: https://s30.postimg.org/jsx4hyozl/promo_pic.jpg

Velkaarn kirjoitti...

@Borderline:

Wow, thanks for digging those up! Though one must always take things mentioned in interviews with a grain of salt as good ol' Varg has taught us over the years! :D

I'd really love to hear the demo and EP now that I know they exist. A bit surprising I had not heard of them before, wonder when exactly Maggot released them, must be '95 judging from what I decipher from the interview... Or were they actually released, there are no gaps in the Maggot discography in the timeline that fits?!? Would not be the first time someone is supposed to release an EP or an album and then it all goes south in the end.

I'm 100% certain I've seen that title "In Search of North's Spirit" somewhere. Trading lists? And I'm just as certain I've seen that flyer picture. Did I have that flyer at some point??? Questions, questions!

Borderline1991 kirjoitti...

@Velkaarn

I plan to someday translate that interview and see what it says there about this band/project. It's going to take me hours to do that so it's going to have to wait until I have a lot of free time.

You said you would like to hear Burn the Crucifix, it seems this band had at least three demos: 2 are listed on metal archives, and one is on Discogs. I managed to get 320kbps rip of the Rehearsal Tape '92 that's on Discogs - I'll add it to metalarea today, I don't think there's a point in reviewing it as it only lasts a 3 and a half minutes. And guess what - it's also on youtube, both tracks. Someone uploaded it there 5 months ago. And it sounds pretty crappy.

Velkaarn kirjoitti...

@Borderline:

Thanks for your efforts on this and yeah, my morbid curiousity takes me to places I necessarily ought not to visit. Burn the Crucifix rehearsal was not exactly impressive as you warned. Nevertheless I'm glad I had the chance to hear it. This is why ripping tapes is important, imagine buying that without prior knowledge and paying some obscene rip-off price for it!